Thursday, October 7, 2010

My third year at Burningman was yet another magical experience!

This year's theme: Metropolis
Popluation: 51, 500
(about the size of downtown San Fransisco)



I settled in at 6:45 & A, which is prime real estate in BRC, like achieving Boardwalk & Park Place in your first few moves of Monopoly. Still not even sure how I found such a perfect spot, other than it was meant to be. Our prime locale kept us super close to Center Camp and the Esplanade, which means quick access to ice, playa info, recycle camp and all the main camps in town, such as medical, rangers, post office, bike repair shop, radio station, etc. This part of the city is basically the downtown of BRC, with Center Camp featured in the middle, the heart of the city.

Under the colorful tent and flags of Center Camp I feel as if I am no longer on this earth, but transported to a timeless, magical place far away as I watch people from all over the city converge in various forms of song, dance, poetry, art, exercise, movement, laughter, relaxation and sleep. I found myself at Center Camp many more times this year. It was great to recharge my batteries with a nap on a random couch, to wander around gazing at art pieces, watch beautiful people hula hoop, or to let everything go in dance during a musical performance. Ahhh, I love the serenity of Center Camp and am glad we camped closer to it this year so I could experience it more :)


Other great benefits of our camp location was the quick & easy access out to the playa & closeness to the porta-johns. We were also one block from Heebee Geebee Camp for steam baths, yoga, dance, meditation....all around goodness and happiness for the body & mind...one of my favorite camps. The best part however, was the awesome neighbors I found myself surrounded by! They were all amazing people and I was thoroughly entertained by them. They continually surprised me with endless amounts of food, music, stories, knowledge, laughter and love.

Between...my camp mates and I,

the large group from Chicago/California,




the small group from Israel,

the couple from Santa Fe,



a lone wolf from Japan,

and the veteran Burner, who always had the good times rollin'...


we had everything covered!

There was gourmet food, drinks, drums, singing, great stories, massages, stilts, electronic skateboards, jumping, hanging, hammocks, makeup, companionship, laughter and all around good times! I will never forget the people I met this year and I hope to meet up and camp with them all again next year :)


Popular Posts